4/9/10

Remembering Mortie

Just recently I have been wanting to have a good read and the book I always wanted to read was Marley & Me. When I saw it in Big W a couple of weeks ago for $15 I grabbed it and couldn't wait for Benn to go away to start reading. It was a book that I couldn't put down, I enjoyed it heaps. I have seen the movie starring Owen Wilson and Jennifer Aniston and I have to say that I enjoyed the book more. However, I am hoping to sit down and watch Marley & Me again. Now that it seems that a lot of movies are made from books. I think I would like to read the book first before watching a movie.


With the story of the dog, I have never grown up with dogs in my life. I can name different cats we have had but never a dog. Then I remember that particular day when I was 17 years old and Mortie came wondering in Dad's office in Claremont, Tas. She looked so look lost and alone. After seeing her sweet face, we knew that we would take her home.

From that moment on, she was apart of the family. We would take her walks, watch the run around the house. She liked everyone but absolutely adored my Dad. I remember that day about 18 months later she got a tick and her back legs stopped working. It was so heartbreaking seeing this lovely full of energy puppy dog, get so sick and sleep all the time. I know there were many prayers offered for her. She made a full recovery but it was however she lost that zest for life. After that scare, got another little puppy dog by the name of Tess.

She is a black jack russell cross maltese. The thing is, she is quite an ugly dog but she had the most cutest personality. Tess took over what Mortie was when we first got her. Mortie stayed a lovely reserve dog. I know my brother's would teach Tess how to do tricks, each trick Tess would get rewarded each time while Mortie sat there wondering where was her's. The saying was true, you never teach old dog new tricks. We usually gave in to Mortie because she was just cute looking.

A couple of years pass, and evantually I got married and moved away. One part of my homesickness was missing beloved Mortie & Tess. They brought such love in my life. I knew that if I was stressed, I would love to go and watch them play and they automatically bring happiness. When I came back to Mum & Dad's throughout the years, I just remembering the excitement that the dogs have when they seen me.

One day, Mum & Dad decided that Queensland wasn't working out for them so they moved down to Melbourne. Pets in tow. When they arrived at my house in Bligh Park. They pulled Mortie out of the car and I have to say that it was the sickest I have seen her. Of course, I talked to her and her tail wagged but I knew from looking at her, she wouldn't last. Then on the Saturday, while resting in the sun at my place, she died sleeping her favourite bed & blanket. She was buried in my backyard near my clothes line.

Of course, all of us felt numb. She was a sweet dog and has been apart of our lives for so long. I know Tess really misses her. Even now, you see her on her own and you feel sad for her because she looks so lonely. I am grateful for that day back years ago when that puppy dog walked into the office and the happiness she has brought into my life. I know I would really like a silky terrier like Mortie but trying to convince my husband is a very hard task. This photo maybe convincing that I will get my way but Benn didn't know she was there.

No comments:

Followers